Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The Power - Tuesday, 5th Week of Lent

 We have an absolutely stunning crucifix here at Incarnate Word in Chesterfield. It is larger than life size and it is so easy to just sit in the pew and gaze upon it. It is truly a great blessing to our parish.

We hear about the power of the crucifix in our readings today. Jesus says that, "When the Son of Man is lifted up, He will draw all men to Himself." Jesus means, when He is crucified-- lifted up on the Cross-- then "you will believe that I AM" (which is the shorthand for the Divine Name of God). And then in the first reading, the power of the crucifix is prefigured in the time of Moses by the healing power given to all who look upon the bronze (and dead) serpent on the pole. All who gaze were healed of the serpents' attacks.

In my own life as a priest, I have seen the power of the crucifix. I am very blessed and honored to have been at the bedside of many as they pass from this world to the next. 

On one particular occasion, I was invited to a person's house to anoint a man who was dying. I pulled up and was "greeted" by a younger man on the porch. He didn't really greet me; it was more of a grunt. He pointed to the front door -- and did not open it. So I knocked and was "greeted" by another person, a younger woman. Another grunt, beckoning me, almost begrudingly, into the living room. You'll find more cheer in a graveyard, I thought to myself. A third and final person was in the living room, the hospice nurse, and she was kind and had a good spirit. She was the one who had called me, she said, and led me to the bedroom in back where she would leave me with "Bob" who needed to be anointed.

When I first saw Bob, I was amazed that he was rather young. Maybe 60.  He was lying down in bed with his arms resting on top of the covers. He had a bunch of tattoos. I could tell by them and his grizzled beard that he had seen a few things and had been hardened in life. I came to his bedside and told him, "Bob, I am here to anoint you and to give you God's forgiveness. ... Are you sorry for anything?" He looked at me and turned his head aside. "Do you regret anything, Bob?" I asked.

"I regret nothing," he growled.

The voice gave me a little chill, not only because of the sheer refusal regarding repentance, but also because it was a growl like those who had greeted me on my arrival. I sensed there was ... evil... in the room.

I gave Bob some reasons for repentance and all fell on deaf ears. So I told him that I would pray the Rosary at his bedside and then I would leave. So I started praying the Rosary-- the Sorrowful Mysteries. I eventually reached the Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: the Crucifixion of our Lord. As I was praying this, there was placed on my heart (by our Blessed Mother, I am sure) the need to show Bob the crucifix. So, I finished the Rosary and, when I finished, I said to Bob, "Bob, I want you to look at something."

He turned his head towards me. And I held out the Rosary's crucifix. It was a rather large crucifix for a Rosary -- he could clearly see it. "Bob," I said. "This is Jesus. He is the Messiah. And He died for you. You are about to meet Him. Tell Him what is in your heart."

Bob gazed upon the crucifix. Like the Israelites in the desert, he gazed. And a tear began to form in his eyes, and a tear went down his cheek.

Bob made a good confession that day and he died receiving the Sacraments and the mercy of God. 

I am convinced that it was the power of the crucifix that healed him -- that drove out evil that day from his soul and from his house. On the way out, the young man at the porch said, "Thank you, Father."

Dear friends, do not underestimate the power of the crucifix. If you have one on a wall in your home, good! Have one in your bedroom, too. If you have a sick person in your family, whether at home or a hospital, make sure they have a crucifix they can look upon and from which they can draw strength. And don't simply let the crucifix be a picture that disappears on your wall -- take it down once in a while and hold it in your hand and pray and gaze .... it will bring the healing of your soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment