Sunday, May 28, 2023

Homily for Father Deters' First Holy Mass

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

On the night before He died, when Jesus at the Last Supper inaugurated the Most Holy Eucharist, that is, when He offered The First Holy Mass, He turned to His Apostles and said to them "No longer do I call you servants… but I have called you friends…" (Jn 15:15). 

Father Deters -- and it is so wonderful to call you that! -- Our Lord Jesus says these same words to you today: “No longer do I call you a servant. I call you my friend.” And since you are my friend, I entrust everything to you. I entrust myself to you. I even wait for your words – I wait for you to say the words of consecration that I said at the Last Supper – and only when you say them will I, Jesus, change the bread and wine into my body and blood. 

Who can behold such a gift? Who can behold such a mystery? ... that we literally hold Jesus as He comes into our hands....

Many years ago, when you were in my RCIA class at St. Joseph in Cottleville, it was evident that God was discipling you, calling you to be one of His close friends. Your desire for knowledge was only eclipsed by your desire to beat me at soccer. I knew something was up not only because of your drive for excellence and holiness, but also because you had what seemed to be an insatiable thirst for wisdom and knowledge and understanding -- gifts of the Holy Spirit whom we celebrate on this Pentecost day. ... And when you found the wellspring of salvation, you drank it in. 

It was truly beautiful to see. 

If you get to teach RCIA at St. Joe’s, I hope that someday you will be able to experience the joy that I am experiencing now: of seeing one of your students offering his first Holy Mass. Through this grace, Jesus has drawn me deeper into His friendship because of this. I thank you for that. 

Goodness, the priesthood is such a gift and such a mystery.

 +

 In his Chrism Mass Homily to priests many years ago (2006), Pope Benedict once said, “This is the profound meaning of being a priest:  becoming the friend of Jesus Christ. […] Being a friend of Jesus, being a priest, means being a man of prayer. In this way we recognize Him and emerge from the ignorance of simple servants.” 

We emerge from the ignorance of simple servants.

 Jesus does not give the power to command Him to change bread and wine – to mere servants. Jesus does not give to just anyone the power to forgive in His almighty name. Jesus does not give to just an ordinary passer-by the grace of seeing His plan unfold in students becoming Fathers. He gives these graces – and so, so many more— to His friends.

 

If I may, one friend to another, a word: when you elevate the host at this Holy Mass and at every Holy Mass, take your time. Adore the Lord who has given you everything. And Lift Him to the Father in thanksgiving for the greatest gift you could ever receive. 

Too often, priests rush this moment because they are just servants, just working. The Holy Mass is just another job, just another thing to do in the day -- instead of the entire source and summit of their priesthood, The Reason why they were chosen and called friends. 

You will notice that everyone is so moved when a priest offers his First Mass. We are moved because we see you in love with our Friend in the Eucharist. Show us always that you are in love with our friend.

 

To this end, the Holy Catholic Church, in Her two thousand years of wisdom and experience, provides you with a prayer to remind you of the importance of your priesthood. Right before the Domine, non sum dignus (Lord, I am not worthy), you will pray the following words – you say in a whisper: 

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, who by the will of the Father and the work of the Holy Spirit, through your Death gave life to the world, free me by this, your most holy Body and Blood, from all my sins and from every evil; keep me always faithful to your commandments, and never let me be parted from you.

 Never let me be parted from you. 

The people of God never hear that prayer. And they do not hear it because it is the last quiet moment you have with Jesus before you receive Him. An intimate moment between friends. It is such an important prayer, because there is so much in the world that could separate us from Him, so many wolves that we shepherds must face. 

So open your lion-hearted soul. Speak friend and enter – And then show us, tell us to Behold the Lamb of God, encourage us to open our hearts to the one who is worth dying for, the Lamb who died for us and gave us everything – including you, His priest in the line of Melchizedek.

 +

 I thank God for your priesthood, Father Deters. And I thank you for bringing us Jesus today.

 May He prove Himself your friend forever. And may you never be parted from Him.

 +

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment